A design of an acoustic coupler for calibration of hydrophones at low frequencies
Treść / Zawartość
The purpose of this article is to present a coupler developed for the calibration of hydrophones at low frequencies in the Central Office of Measures (GUM). Due to the growing demand for marine environment research in the field of underwater noise, implemented in accordance with Directive 2008/56/EC, many models of autonomous underwater noise recorders have been developed. Ensuring the reliability of recorded data begins with the reliable calibration of hydrophones and/or the entire recorder. The choice of the calibration method was made on the basis of a detailed and broad analysis of calibration methods and similar solutions of coupling constructs worldwide. The analysis mainly took into account the documents of the last few years. On the basis of this analysis, the vibrating water column method was chosen and the construction of the coupler was developed. Regular calibration of hydrophones will contribute to reliable underwater noise monitoring in the Baltic region.
Bibliogr. 19 poz., rys.
- 1. R. S. Sousa-Lima, T. F. Norris, N. O. Oswald, D. P. Fernandes, A Review and Inventory of Fixed Autonomous Recorders for Passive Acoustic Monitoring of Marine Mammals, Aquatic Mammals, 39(1) (2013) 25 - 53.
- 2. S. Schael, Adulteration Of Underwater Acoustic Measurements, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, (2014) 359 - 366.
- 3. K. Buszman, I. Gloza, R. Jozwiak, K. Listewnik, The Calibration Of Hydroacoustic Channel Of Mobile Measurement Module, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, (2014) 367 - 372.
- 4. R. P. A. Dekeling, M. L. Tasker, Van der Graaf, at al, Monitoring Guidance for Underwater Noise in European Seas, Part I-III: Executive Summary, JRC Scientific and Policy Report EUR 26557 EN, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg 2014.
- 5. IEC 60565:2006, Underwater Acoustics - Hydrophones - Calibration in the Frequency Range 0.01 Hz to 1 MHz, Geneva, Switzerland: International Electrotechnical Commission.
- 6. ANSI/ASA S1.20:2012, Procedures for Calibration of Underwater Electroacoustic Transducers, New York: American National Standards Institute.
- 7. IEC FDIS 60565-2 2019, Underwater acoustics - Hydrophones - Procedures for low frequency pressure calibration, Geneva, Switzerland: International Electrotechnical Commission.
- 8. ISO/IEC Guide 98-3, Uncertainty of measurement -Part 3: Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement, International Electrotechnical Commission. Geneva 2008.
- 9. W. H. Slater, S. E. Crocker, S. R. Baker, A primary method for the complex calibration of a hydrophone from 1 Hz to 2 kHz, Metrologia, 55 (2018) 84 - 94.
- 10. G. Hayman, S. P. Robinson, P. A. Lepper, The Calibration and Characterisation of Autonomous Recorders used in Measurement of Underwater Noise, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 875 (2015) 441 - 445.
- 11. S. Buogo, S. Mauro, J. F. Borsani, S. Curcuruto, A. Biber, A. C. Çorakçi, A. Golick, S. Robinson, G. Hayman, S. Barrera-Figueroa, M. Linné, P. Sigray, P. Davidsson, Underwater acoustic calibration standards for frequencies below 1 kHz: current status of EMPIR UNAC-LOW project, ACTA IMEKO, 7(2) (2018) 32 - 38.
- 12. J. Ward, S. Robinson, Low Frequency Hydrophone Calibration With A Laser Interferometer, Conference Proceedings of the 4th International Conference and Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, (2019) 33 - 40.
- 13. A. Isaev, A. Shchelkunov, Low frequency hydrophone calibration with using tensometric pressure sensor, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 123 3348 (2008).
- 14. W. H. Slater, Extending The Calibration In The Underwater Sound Reference Division (USRD) Reciprocity Coupler To Incorporate Phase, Master of Science In Engineering Acoustics Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey 2016.
- 15. D. T. Dakin, N. Bailly, J. Dorocicz, J. Bosma, Calibrating Hydrophones At Very Low Frequencies, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, (2014) 373 - 378.
- 16. R. J. Bobber, Underwater Electroacoustic Measurements, Peninsula Publication, Los Altos 1990.
- 17. A. Malarkodi, G. Latha, PSSR Sridhar, Niels V. Bøgholm, Design Considerations and Establishment of a Low Frequency Hydrophone Calibration Setup using the Principle of Vibrating Water Column, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, 23(1) (2018) 44 - 48.
- 18. S. Cui, D. W. Y. Khoo, Underwater Calibration of Hydrophones at Very Low Frequencies from 30 Hz to 2 kHz, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 1065 072015 (2018) 1 - 4.
- 19. K. Listewnik, D. Dobrowolska, Development of Metrological Infrastructure in the Field of Underwater Acoustics in Poland, Joint Conference - Acoustics, Ustka 2018, 1 - 5.