Corrosion and Stress Corrosion Cracking of New Wrought Magnesium Alloys
Treść / Zawartość
New magnesium alloys (Die-Cast and wrought) have increasingly been developed in recent years for the automotive industry due to their high potential as structural materials for low density and high strength/weight ratio demands. However, their poor mechanical properties and low corrosion resistance have led to a search for new kinds of magnesium alloys with better strength, ductility, high temperature behaviour and high corrosion resistance. The main objective of this research is to investigate the corrosion behaviour of new magnesium alloys: Mg-Al-Ca, Mg-Al-Sr, Mg-Zn-Mn-Si (ZSM) and Mg-Zn-Mn-Si-Ca (ZSMX). These ZSM6X1 and ZSM651+YCa alloys were prepared using hot extrusion. These Mg-Al-Ca and Mg-Al-Sr were prepared using high pressure die cast. AC and DC polarization tests were carried out on the new alloys. Microstructure was examined using optical and electron microscopy (SEM) and EDS. The addition of Si increased the corrosion resistance. The additions of Sr and Ca also aff ected the corrosion behaviour. These results can be explained by the eff ects of alloying elements on the microstructure of Mg alloys such as grain size and precipitates caused by the change in precipitation and recrystallisation behaviour.
Bibliogr. 20 poz., wykr., rys., tab.
-  Pekguleryuz, M.O. Mater. Sci. Forum 350–351 (2000): 131.
-  Mordike, B.L. Mater. Sci. and Eng. A324 (2002): 103.
-  Chung, Y.J. and K.S. Shin. Magnesium Technology 2005 TMS (2005): 425.
-  Ozturk, K., et al. JOM Nov (2003): 40.
-  Brail, E., P. Labelle and M.O. Pekguleryz. SAE Technical Paper, Detroit, Michigan 2003.
-  Roberts, C. S. Magnesium and Its Alloys. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1960.
-  Sturkey, L. and J.B. Clark. J. Inst. Met. 88 (1959–1960): 177.
-  Clark, J.B. Acta. Metall. 13 (1965): 1281.
-  Bhambri, A.K. and T.Z. Kattamis. Metall. Trans. 2 (1971): 1869.
-  Sustek, V., S. Spigarelli and J. Cadek. Scripta mater. 35 (1996): 449.
-  Unsworth, W. and J.F. King. Magnesium Technology 25 (1987).
-  Beer, S., G. Frommeyer and E. Schmid. Proceedings of Conference on ‘Magnesium alloys and their applications’, Oberursel, DGM, 1992: 317–324.
-  Guangyin, Y., et al. Mater. Sci. Eng. A357 (2003): 314--320.
-  Pourbaix, M. Atlas of Electrochemical Equilibria in Aqueous Solutions. Brussels: Cebelcor, 1974: 141.
-  Boukamp. Equivalent Circuit Software, Users Manual. The Netherlands University of Twente, 1988: 6–26.
-  Uhlig, H.H. Corrosion and Corrosion Control. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1963.
-  Ben-Hamu, G., A. Eliezer, E.M. Gutman. “Electrochemical Behavior of Magnesium Alloys Strained in Buff er Solutions”. Electrochimica Acta 52, 1 (2006): 304–313.
-  Cho, W.C., H.C. Chul and K.S. Shin. “Infl uence of alloying elements on the high temperature mechanical properties of Mg-5%Al alloys”. Proc. Of the 1st Asian symposium on Magnesium alloys. Jeju, Korea, October 11–14, 2005.
-  Eliezer, D. and H. Alves. Corrosion and Oxidation of Magnesium Alloys. Handbook of materials selection (2002): 267–289.
-  Ben-Hamu, G., D. Eliezer and K. S. Shin. Materials Science and Engineering A 447 1007, 1–2: 35–43.