Second Generation Intact Stability Criteria: on the validation of codes for direct stability assessment in the framework of an example application
Treść / Zawartość
The Sub-Committee on Stability and Load Lines and on Fishing Vessels Safety (SLF) of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) has undertaken the development of so-called “Second Generation Intact Stability Criteria” (SGISC) with the intention of providing a new set of rules covering those phenomena which are not properly covered by present, mostly semi-empirical, requirements. The first two levels of the envisioned 3+1 tiers structure of SGISC are so-called “vulnerability assessment” levels: most of the discussion has so far been dedicated to these levels. At the highest level there is the so-called “Direct Stability Assessment”, which is also strictly linked with the development of ship-specific “Operational Guidance”. Recent discussion on the topic of “Direct Stability Assessment” (DSA) has touched the issue of “validation” of numerical codes to be employed at this level. Stimulated by, and in view of, the ongoing IMO discussion, this paper presents the results of a recent series of experiments in beam waves (mono-/bichromatic, irregular) and associated simulations based on a 6-DOF blended code. Nonlinear harmonic and sub-harmonic resonances are observed and simulated.
Bibliogr. 41 poz., rys., tab.
- 1. SLF54/INF.12: Information collected by the intersessional Correspondence Group on Intact Stability, Submitted by Japan, 11 November 2011, London, UK
- 2. SLF54/INF.12: Information collected by the intersessional Correspondence Group on Intact Stability, 11 November 2011, IMO, London, UK
- 3. SLF54/WP.3: Report of the working group (part 1), 19 January 2012, IMO, London, UK
- 4. Peters, W.S., Belenky, V., Bassler, C., Spyrou, K.: On Vulnerability Criteria for Parametric Roll and Surf-riding, Proc. 12th International Ship Stability Workshop, Washington, USA, June 2011.
- 5. Bulian, G., Francescutto, A.: Considerations on Parametric Roll and Dead Ship Conditions for the Development of Second Generation Intact Stability Criteria, Proc. 12th International Ship Stability Workshop, Washington, USA, June 2011.
- 6. Shigunov, V., Rathje, H., El Moctar, O., Altmayer, B.: On the Consideration of Lateral Accelerations in Ship Design Rules, Proc. 12th International Ship Stability Workshop, Washington, USA, June 2011.
- 7. SLF52/WP.1-Annex 2: Preliminary Specifications for the New Generation Intact Stability Criteria, 28 January 2010, London, UK
- 8. de Kat, J.O., Paulling, J.R.: The Simulation of Ship Motions and Capsizing in Severe Seas, Trans. SNAME, Vol. 97, 1989, pp. 139-168
- 9. SLF54/INF.12-Annex 21: United States view on direct stability assessment procedures, Submitted by the United States, 2011
- 10. Umeda, N., Izawa, S., Sano, H., Kubo, H., Yamane, K., Matsuda, A.: Validation Attempts on Draft New Generation Intact Stability Criteria, Proc. 12th International Ship Stability Workshop, Washington, USA, June 2011.
- 11. ITTC: Specialist Committee on Prediction of Extreme Ship Motions and Capsizing - Final Report and Recommendations to the 23rd ITTC, Proc. 23rd ITTC, Venice, Volume II, 2002, pp. 619-748
- 12. ITTC: Specialist Committee on Stability in Waves - Final Report and Recommendations to the 26th ITTC, Proc. 26th ITTC, Rio de Janeiro, Volume II, 2011, pp. 523-560
- 13. Telste, J. G., Belknap, W. F.: Potential Flow Forces and Moments from Selected Ship Flow Codes in a Set of Numerical Experiments, Carderock Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center Report NSWCCD-50-TR–2008/040, 2008, 15’240 p.
- 14. Belknap, W, Telste, J.: Identification of Leading Order Nonlinearities from Numerical Forced Motion Experiment Results. Proc. 27th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Seoul, Korea, 2008
- 15. Reed, A.M.: A Naval Perspective on Ship Stability, Proc. 10th International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles (STAB2009), St.Petersburg, 2009, pp.21-44
- 16. Story, W.R., Xing, Z., Wu, W., McCue, L.: Validation: A Historical Look and Two Suggested Techniques, Proc. ITTC Workshop on Seakeeping - V&V for Nonlinear Seakeeping Analysis, October 2010, Seoul, Korea, pp. 214-246
- 17. Spanos, D., Papanikolaou, A.: SAFEDOR International Benchmark Study on Numerical Simulation Methods for the Prediction of Parametric Rolling of Ships in Waves, Revision 1.0, 30 June 2009, http://www.naval.ntua.gr/sdl/sibs.
- 18. Francescutto, A.: Intact Ship Stability: The Way Ahead, Marine Technology, Vol.41, 2004, pp.31-37
- 19. Tzamtzis, S.: Development and testing of a procedure for the alternative assessment of Weather Criterion on experimental basis, Diploma Thesis, University of Trieste and National Technical University of Athens, Academic Year 2003-2004.
- 20. Bulian G., Francescutto, A.: Effect of roll modelling in beam waves under multi-frequency excitation, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 38, Issue 13, September 2011, pp. 1448–1463
- 21. Bulian, G., Francescutto, A., Sinibaldi, M.: Roll motion of a ship with low metacentric height in bi-chromatic beam waves, Proc. of the 11th International Conference on the Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles (STAB2012), 23-28 September 2012, Athens, Greece, pp. 187-200
- 22. Bulian, G., Francescutto, A.: SAFEDOR benchmark on parametric roll - Brief description of the simulation methodology employed in the code SHIXDOF under development at DINMA, Internal Technical Report, Department DINMA, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy, 2008.
- 23. IMO: International Code on Intact Stability, 2008 – 2009 Edition, 2009, ISBN 978-92-801-1506-2
- 24. IMO SLF54/INF.12-Annex 3: On the Consideration of Lateral Accelerations in Ship Design Rules, Submitted by Germany, 2011, (SLF54/INF.12 submitted by Japan)
- 25. Fujiwara, T, Ikeda, Y.: Effects of roll damping and heave motion on heavy parametric rolling of a large passenger ship in beam waves, Proc. 9th International Ship Stability Workshop, Hamburg, Germany, 2007
- 26. SLF54/INF.12-Annex 22: Comments on the United States Submission for Direct Stability Assessment Procedures, Submitted by Japan, 2011
- 27. Wheeler, J.D.: Method for Calculating Forces Produced by Irregular Waves, Offshore Technology Conference, Dallas, Texas, US, Paper No. 1006, 1969
- 28. Du, S.X., Hudson, D.A., Price, W.G., Temarel, P.: Implicit expressions of static and incident wave pressures over the instantaneous wetted surface of ships, Proc. IMechE Part M: J. Engineering for the Maritime Environment, Vol. 223, 2009, pp. 239-256
- 29. Faltinsen, O.M.: Sea Loads on Ships and Offshore Structures, Cambridge University Press, 1990
- 30. Matusiak, J.: On the non-linearities of ship’s restoring and the Froude-Krylov wave load part, 2010, Proc. ITTC Workshop on Seakeeping - V&V for Non-linear Seakeeping Analysis, October 19-21, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, pp. 151-159
- 31. Ayaz, Z., Vassalos, D., Spyrou, K.J.: Manoeuvring behaviour of ships in extreme astern seas, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 33, 2006, pp. 2381-2434
- 32. IMO MSC.1/Circ.1200: Interim Guidelines for Alternative Assessment of the Weather Criterion, 24 May 2006, London, UK
- 33. Bulian, G., Francescutto, A., Fucile, F., Cafagna, F., Genuzio, D.H., Maccari, A.: Heeling moment in the alternative assessment of the Weather Criterion: direct experiments and numerical simulations, Proc. 4th International Maritime Conference on Design for Safety and 3rd Workshop on Risk-Based Approaches in the Marine Industries - Part I, 18-20 October 2010, Trieste, Italy, pp. 107-121
- 34. Francescutto, A., Serra, A.: Experimental tests on ships with large values of B/T, OG/T and roll period, Proc. 6th International Stability Workshop, New York, 2002
- 35. Kuroda, T., Ikeda, Y.: Extreme Roll Motion in Wide Frequency Range Due to Drift Motion, Proc. 6th International Stability Workshop, New York, 2002
- 36. ITTC: Recommended Procedures - Model Tests on Intact Stability - 7.5-02-07-04.1”, 2008
- 37. Cummins, W.E.: The Impulse Response Function and Ship Motions, Schiffstechnik, Vol. 47, 1962, pp. 101-109
- 38. Bailey, P.A., Price, W.G., Temarel, P.: A Unified Mathematical Model Describing The Manoeuvring of a Ship Travelling in a Seaway”, Trans. RINA, 1998, Vol. 140, pp. 131-149
- 39. Clarke, D., Gedling, P., Hine, G., “The Application of Manoeuvring Criteria in Hull Design Using Linear Theory”, Trans. RINA, Vol. 125, 1983, pp. 45-68
- 40. Karasuno, K., Okano, S., Miyoshi, J., Maekawa, K.: Predictions of ship’s hull hydrodynamic forces and maneuvering motions at slow speed based on a component-type mathematical model, Proc. MARSIM2003, Kanazawa, Japan, 25-28 August, 2003, RC-4-(1-11)
- 41. Artyszuk, J.: A Non-Uniform Current in Ship Manoeuvring, Proc. MARSIM2006 - International Conference on Marine Simulation and Ship Manoeuvrability, Terschelling, the Netherlands, June, 2006