New instruments and methods for analysing the coal-methane system
Treść / Zawartość
The authors of the present paper designed and constructed a prototype of an instrument which enables fully automated determination of the desorbable methane content and effective diffusion coefficient in underground conditions. Due to microprocessor analysis of the recorded data and the application of the mathematical model of the diffusion process, it is possible to automatically determine the amount of methane whose release from a coal sample occurred before the sample was placed within a measuring instrument. It is also possible to carry out follow-up extrapolation of the recorded data so the time duration needed to determine reliable results can be reduced. The instrument was tested and optimized, and a number of copies sufficient for performing underground tests were constructed. The concept of the instrument represents a totally new approach to the observation of gas release from a coal sample. Instead of short-period measurements, virtually the whole process of methane release from coal is registered and analysed. This is possibly due to the use of a grain fraction lower than one mm which is presently applied for the sake of evaluating the methane- bearing capacity and desorption intensity.
Bibliogr. 15 poz., tab., rys.
- The Strata Mechanics Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Strata Mechanics Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, email@example.com
- The Strata Mechanics Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Strata Mechanics Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, email@example.com
-  CRANK J., The Mathematics of diffusion, 2nd ed., Oxford Univ. Press, London, 1975, 414.
-  CROSDALE P.J., BEAMISH B.B., Marjorie Valix Coalbed methane sorption related to coal composition, International Journal of Coal Geology, 1998, 35, 147–158.
-  GAWOR M., SKOCZYLAS N., Sorption Rate of Carbon Dioxide on Coal, Transport in Porous Media, 2014, Vol. 101, Iss. 2, 269–279.
-  HARPALANI S., CHEN G., Influence of gas production induced volumetric strain on permeability of coal, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 1997, Vol. 15, 303–325.
-  HARPALANI S., SCHRAUFNAGEL R.A., Shrinkage of coal matrix with release of gas and its impact on permeability of coal, Fuel, 1990, Vol. 69, 551–556.
-  KING G.R., ERTEKIN T.M., A survey of mathematical models related to methane production from coal seams, Part 1. Empirical and equilibrium sorption models, Proc. 1989 Coalbed Methane Symp. The Univ. of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, 1989, 125–138.
-  PILLALAMARRY M., HARPALANI S., LIU S., Gas diffusion behaviour of coal and its impact on production from coalbed methane reservoirs, International Journal of Coal Geology, 2011, 86, 342–348.
-  SKOCZYLAS N., Coal seam methane pressure as a parameter determining the level of the outburst risk – laboratory and in situ research, Archives of Mining Sciences, 2012a, 861–869.
-  SKOCZYLAS N., Estimating gas and rock outburst risk on the basis of knowledge and experience – the expert system based on fuzzy logic, Arch. Min. Sci., 2014, (59), 41–52.
-  SKOCZYLAS N., Laboratory study of the phenomenon of methane and coal outburst, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 2012b, 55, 102–107.
-  TIMOFEEV D.P., Adsprptionskinetik, Lipsk VEB, 1967.
-  WIERZBICKI M., Changes in the sorption/diffusion kinetics of a coal-methane system caused by different temperatures and pressures, Mineral Resources Management, 2013, Vol. 29, Iss. 4, 155–168.
-  WIERZBICKI M., SKOCZYLAS N., Evaluation and management of the gas and rock outburst hazard in the light of international legal regulations, Arch. Min. Sc., 2014, Vol. 59, Iss. 4, 1119–112.
-  WIERZBICKI M., The effect of temperature on the sorption properties of coal from Upper Silesian coal basin, Poland, Arch. Min. Sci., 2013, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1163–1176.
-  XIANGCHUN LI, BAISHENG NIE, RUMING ZHANG, LEILEI CHI, Experiment of gas diffusion and its diffusion mechanism in coal, International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 2012, Vol. 22, Iss. 6, 885–889.