Selecting utilities placement techniques in urban underground engineering
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Placement of utilities has not been generally accomplished in any sustainable technique resulting in a veritable maze in high density urban areas. As underground space scarcity grows in our cities due to the increasing demands for utility services, subsurface facilities such as utility tunnels are becoming more efficient in providing the required infrastructure. There is a growing public awareness of aesthetic considerations and impatience with street cuts and their associated costs, traffic interferences, noise and accidental utility cuts. Unfortunately the lack of data and the difficulty in quantifying the intangibles has made it impossible to arrive at a reasonably accurate figure of overall negative impact on the urban environment of street cuts. Due to this, current practices of traditional trenching depending only on cost indicators remain as first option in urban planning instead of more sustainable techniques, like utility tunnels. However, it is well known that intangible costs to the public and the utilities might make the utility tunnel concept to be economically feasible in the long run. This paper presents a methodology based on AHP and Delphi processes for the selection of utilities placement techniques in which the intangibles are also assessed to avoid short-sighted urban underground planning.
Bibliogr. 56 poz., tab., wykr.
- Physical Technologies Center, Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Caminode Vera s/n, 46022 Valencia, Spain, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Construction Engineering and Civil Engineering Projects, Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Caminode Vera s/n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
-  S.P. Raut, R.V. Ralegaonkar, S.A. Mandavgane, Development of sustainable construction material using industrial and agricultural solid waste: a review of waste-create brick, International Journal of Construction & Building Materials 25 (2011) 4037–4042.
-  S.P. Raut, R. Sedmake, S. Dhunde, R.V. Ralegaonkar, S.A. Mandavgane, Reuse of recycle paper mill waste in energy absorbing light weight bricks, International Journal of Construction & Building Materials 27 (2012) 247–251.
-  S. Mucahit, A. Sedat, The use of recycled paper processing residue in making porous brick with reduced thermal conductivity, Ceramics International 35 (2009) 2625–2631.
-  I. Demir, M. Serhat, O. Mehmet, Utilization of kraft pulp production residues in clay brick production, Building and Environment 40 (2005) 1533–1537.
-  K.V. Harish, Fundamental investigations into performance of carbon-neutral rice husk ash as supplementary cementitious material, J. Trans. Res. (2010) (Board No. 2164; Washington DC: 35-26).
-  E. Beagle, Rice Husk Conversion to Energy: Agricultural Service Bulletin 1978; 31, Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome.
-  R. Kishore, V. Bhikshma, P.J. Prakash, Study on strength characteristics of high strength rice husk ash concrete, Procedia Engineering 14 (2011) 2666–2672.
-  V. Saraswathy, H.W. Song, Corrosion performance of rice husk ash blended concrete, Construction and Building Materials 21 (2007) 1779–1784.
-  R.M. Ferraro, A. Nanni, R.K. Vempati, F. Matta, Carbon neutral off-white rice husk ash as a partial white cement replacement, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 22 (2010) 1078–1083.
-  V. Hokkanen, I. Forssen, M. Niva, K. Sorjonen, Four examples of subsurface uses in Finland, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 9 (3) (1994) 385-393.
-  A. Kolonko, C. Madryas, Modernization of underground pipes in towns in Poland, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 11 (2) (1996) 215–220.
-  L. Legrand, O. Blanpain, F. Buyle-Bodin, Promoting the urban utilities tunnel technique using a decision-making approach, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 19 (1) (2004) 79–83.
-  M. Ghorbani, M. Sharifzadeh, S. Yasrobi, M. Daiyan, Geotechnical, structural and geodetic measurements for conventional tunnelling hazards in urban areas – The case of Niayesh road tunnel project, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 31 (1) (2012) 1–8.
-  C. Madryas, Methods of gathering data for determining the cost of underground infrastructure failure, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 3 (3) (1988) 301–303.
-  J. Curiel-Esparza, J. Canto-Perello, Understanding the major drivers for implementation of municipal sustainable policies in underground space, International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology 19 (6) (2012) 506–514.
-  P. Riera, J. Pasqual, The importance of urban underground land value in project evaluation: a case study of Barcelona’s utility tunnel, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 7 (3) (1992) 243–250.
-  R. Sterling, J. Carmody, Underground Space Design, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1993.
-  R. Sterling, Underground technologies for livable cities, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 12 (4) (1997) 479–490.
-  P. Duffaut, M. Labbe, From underground road traffic to underground city planning, in: Proceedings of the International Conference Urban Underground Space: a Resource for Cities, 2002.
-  S. Thibault, M. Trepanier, D. Fougeres, The urban underground of Montreal: the commission of electrical and public services, Canadian Journal of Urban Research 12 (1) (2003) 77–101.
-  I.E. Zevgolis, A.A. Mavrikos, D.C. Kaliampakos, Construction, storage capacity and economics of an underground warehousing Logistics center in Athens, Greece, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 19 (2) (2004) 165–173.
-  I.E. Zevgolis, Building underground: special techniques for a storage facility, in: Proceedings of the Construction Research Congress: Broadening Perspectives, 2005.
-  J.H. Wang, A. Koizumi, X. Liu, Advancing sustainable urban development in China, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Municipal Engineer 161 (1) (2008) 3–10.
-  J.J. Cano-Hurtado, J. Canto-Perello, Sustainable development of urban underground space for utilities, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 14 (3) (1999) 335–340.
-  J.C. Zhang, X.M. Ding, Y.S. Pang, W.P. Li, H.W. Tong, X.C. Zheng, Y. Xu, Analysis for development and utilization of underground space in Guangzhou, Gongcheng Lixue/Engineering Mechanics 26 (2) (2009) 106–114.
-  M.S. Ozdemir, T.L. Saaty, The unknown in decision making, what to do about it, European Journal of Operational Research 174 (1) (2006) 349–359.
-  G.K.L. Lee, E.H.W. Chan, The analytic hierarchy process (AHP) approach for assessment of urban renewal proposals, Social Indicators Research 89 (1) (2008) 155–168.
-  J.Hwang Syamsuddin, The use of AHP in security policy decision making: an open office calc application, Journal of Software 5 (10) (2010) 1162–1169.
-  R.B. Thapa, Y. Murayama, Drivers of urban growth in the Kathmandu valley, Nepal: examining the efficacy of the analytic hierarchy process, Applied Geography 30 (1) (2010) 70–83.
-  E.K. Zavadskas, Z. Turskis, J. Tamosaitiene, Selection of construction enterprises management strategy based on SWOT and multi-criteria analysis, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 11 (4) (2011) 1063–1082.
-  C.C. Hsu, B.A. Sandord, The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus, Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation 12 (10) (2007) 1–7.
-  F. Roubelat Marchais-Roubelat, The Delphi method as a ritual: inquiring the Delphi Oracle, Technological Forecasting & Social Change 78 (9) (2011) 1491–1499.
-  H.A. Gracht, Consensus measurement in Delphi studies, review and implications for future quality assurance, Technological Forecasting and Social Change 79 (8) (2012) 1525–1536.
-  D.V.L. Hunt, D. Nash, C.D.F. Rogers, C.D.F., Sustainable utility placement via Multi-Utility Tunnels, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (2012)http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2012.02.001.
-  Laistner, H. Laistner, Proven sustainability above and below ground, in: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Urban Planning and Regional Development in the Information Society, 2012.
-  J. Canto-Perello, J. Curiel-Esparza, An analysis of utility tunnel viability in urban areas, Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems 23 (1) (2006) 11–19.
-  B. Gronostajska, The affect of human feelings on creation of housing, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 8 (1) (2008) 107–117.
-  M. Robati, F. Atabi, Environmental impacts of urban utility tunnel construction case study: Urban utility tunnel district 22 of Tehran, Journal of Environmental Studies 36 (54) (2010) 59–68.
-  J. Canto-Perello, J. Curiel-Esparza, V. Calvo, Analysing utility tunnels and highway networks coordination dilemma, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 24 (2) (2009) 185–189.
-  D.V.L. Hunt, I. Jefferson, M.R. Gaterell, C.D.F. Rogers, Planning for sustainable utility infrastructure, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Urban Design and Planning 162 (4) (2009) 187–201.
-  C.D.F. Rogers, T. Hao, S.B. Costello, M.P.N. Burrow, N. Metje, D.N. Chapman, J. Parker, R.J. Armitage, J.H. Anspach, J.M. Muggleton, K.Y. Foo, P. Wang, S.R. Pennock, P.R. Atkins, S.G. Swingler, A.G. Cohn, K. Goddard, P.L. Lewin, G. Orlando, M.A. Redfern, A.C.D. Royal, A.J. Saul, Condition assessment of the surface and buried infrastructure – A proposal for integration, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 28 (2012) 202–211.
-  Y.J. Jung, Evaluation of subsurface utility engineering for highway projects: Benefit–cost analysis, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 27 (2012) 111–122.
-  J. Canto-Perello, J. Curiel-Esparza, Human factors engineering in utility tunnel design, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 16 (3) (2001) 211–215.
-  R. Green, The essential role of governance in project development, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Municipal Engineer 162 (3) (2009) 179–185.
-  J. Canto-Perello, J. Curiel Esparza, Assessing governance issues of urban utility tunnels, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 33 (2013) 82–87.
-  J. Canto-Perello, J. Curiel-Esparza, Risks and potential hazards in utility tunnels for urban areas, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Municipal Engineer 156 (1) (2003) 51–56.
-  J. Curiel-Esparza, J. Canto-Perello, Indoor atmosphere hazard identification in person entry urban utility tunnels Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 20 (5) (2005) 426–434.
-  A.O. Abdul Salam, Safety in automated transportation tunnels, in: Proceedings of the 15th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, 2007.
-  A.-P. Tang, Z.-Q. Li, R.-C. Feng, X.-Y. Zhou, Model experiment and analysis on seismic response of utility tunnel systems using a shaking table, Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology 41 (6) (2009) 1–5.
-  J. Zhou, Q. Tang, J. Zhang, Dynamic risk assessment for excavation engineering based on human factors, in: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Information Science and Engineering, ICISE, 2009.
-  M.M. Fouladgar, A. Yazdani-Chamzini, E.K. Zavadskas, Risk evaluation of tunnelling projects, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 12 (1) (2012) 1–12.
-  J.P. Godard, Urban underground space and benefits of going underground, in: Proceedings of the World Tunnel Congress of the International Tunnelling Association, 2004.
-  Z. Ping, C. Zhilong, Y. Hongyu, W. Hui, On utilization of underground space to protect historical relics model, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 24 (3) (2009) 245–249.
-  T.L. Saaty, Decision making with the analytic hierarchy process, International Journal of Services Sciences 1 (1) (2008) 83–98.
-  T.L. Saaty, How to make a decision: the analytic hierarchy process, European Journal of Operational Research 48 (1) (1990) 9–26.
-  T.L. Saaty, The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1980.