Multiparameter Assessment of the Gas Forming Tendency of Foundry Sands with Alkyd Resins
Treść / Zawartość
Gas atmosphere at the sand mould/cast alloy interface determines the quality of the casting obtained. Therefore the aim of this study was to measure and evaluate the gas forming tendency of selected moulding sands with alkyd resins. During direct and indirect gas measurements, the kinetics of gas evolution was recorded as a function of the temperature of the sand mixture undergoing the process of thermal destruction. The content of hydrogen and oxygen was continuously monitored to establish the type of the atmosphere created by the evolved gases (oxidizing/reducing). The existing research methodology [1, 7, 8] has been extended to include pressure-assisted technique of indirect measurement of the gas evolution rate. For this part of the studies, a new concept of the measurement was designed and tested. This article presents the results of measurements and compares gas emissions from two sand mixtures containing alkyd resins known under the trade name SL and SL2002, in which the polymerization process is initiated with isocyanate. Studies of the gas forming tendency were carried out by three methods on three test stands to record the gas evolution kinetics and evaluate the risk of gas formation in a moulding or core sand. Proprietary methods for indirect evaluation of the gas forming tendency have demonstrated a number of beneficial aspects, mainly due to the ability to record the quantity and composition of the evolved gases in real time and under stable and reproducible measurement conditions. Direct measurement of gas evolution rate from the tested sands during cast iron pouring process enables a comparison of the results with the results obtained by indirect methods.
Bibliogr. 15 poz., rys., tab., wykr.
-  Lewandowski, J.L. (1991). Molding and core compounds. Warsaw: PWN Scientific Publishers. (in Polish).
-  Zych, J. (2015). Analysis of casting defects. Krakow: AGH publishing house. (in Polish).
-  Lewandowski, J., Solarski, W. & Pawłowski, Z. (1993). Classification of molding and core masses in terms of gas-yielding. Foundry Review. 5, 143-149. (in Polish).
-  Lewandowski, J.L. (1997). Plastics for foundry molds. Krakow: Akapit. (in Polish).
-  Smyrak, J.K. (2014). Gazogenicity of selected molding sands. Master's diploma thesis, AGH, Department of Foundry Engineering. (in Polish).
-  Falęcki, Z. (1997). Analysis of casting defects. Kraków: AGH publishing house. (in Polish).
-  Zych, J., Mocek, J. (2019). Thermal Volumetric Analysis (TVA): A New Test Method of the Kinetics of Gas Emissions from Moulding Sands and Protective Coatings Heated by Liquid Alloy Additional information is available at the end of the chapter. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.78369, 2019.
-  Mocek, J. & Samsonowicz, J. (2011). Changes of gas pressure in sand mould during cast iron pouring. Archives of Foundry Engineering. 11(4), 87-92.
-  Styczeń, T. (2016). Indirect measurement of the gas-forming behavior of masses with an alkyd resin. Krakow: Engineering diploma thesis, AGH Faculty of Foundry. (in Polish).
-  Mocek, J. & Zych, J. (2016). Kinetics of gas emission from heated moulding sands together with the on-line assessment of H2 and O2 fractions - new investigation method. Archives of Foundry Engineering. 16(4), 79-84.
-  Scraber, P., Bates, C. & Griffin, J. (2006). Avoiding gas defects through mold and core package design. Modern Casting. 96(12), 38- 40.
-  Jelinek, P., Buchtele, J., Fiala, J. (2004). Lustrous carbon and pyrolysis of carbonaceous additives to bentonite sand. In “The 66 th World Foundry Congress”, Istambul pp 455-467.
-  Orlenius, J., Dioszegi, A. & Dioszegi, Z. (2008). Gas absorption in gray cast iron during mould filling. International Journal of Cast Metals Research. 21(6), 427-434.
-  Vasková, I., Jančok, J., Hrubovčáková, M. & Conev, M., (2015). Hydrogen Removal from Liquid Metal. Manufacturing Technology. 15(4), 737-739.
-  Di Muoio G.L., N. Skat Tiedje, Budolph Johansen B. (2014). Automatic Vapour Sorption Analysis as New Methodology for Assessing Moisture Content of Water Based Foundry Coating and Furan Sands, International Symposium on the Science and Processing of Cast Iron, SPCI 10, URI: http://rinfi.fi.mdp.edu.ar/xmlui/handle/123456789/52 (2019).
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2019).