Production of Biodiesel from Local Available Algae in Jordan
Treść / Zawartość
The present study aims at producing diesel out of algae. The production of biodiesel was performed at Tafila Technical University laboratories. The algae were brought from Almansora stream at Tafila governorate - Jordan and afterwards dried in an oven at 80 °C for 12 hours. The dried algae were ground using disc mill until powder was obtained. The powdered algae underwent a distillation process with the addition of iron sulphate hydrate to the algae using a distillation column in order to extract the oil. Methanol was added to the oil, which was obtained from the distillation and using potassium hydroxide as a catalyst, the product was then separated in a funnel for about 10 hours until two layers of the solution were obtained; the organic layer represents the biodiesel. The biodiesel attributes are similar to the diesel oil, except that it reduces the emission of carbon dioxide CO2 and there is no emission of sulphur dioxide SO2.
Bibliogr. 9 poz., rys.
- 1. Barsanti L., Gualtieri P., 2014. Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, 2nd Ed. CRC Press, 2008.
- 2. Benemann J.R., Pursoff P., Oswald W.J. 1978. Engineering Design and Cost Analysis of a Large Scale Microalgae Biomass System. NTIS #H CP/T1605-01 UC-61.Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Energy, pp. 91.
- 3. http://technolabelbahaagp.googoolz.com/t1151-topic.
- 4. http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/EandE/Web_sites/02–03/biofuels/what_biodiesel.htm.
- 5. http://www.renewablesinfo.com/drawbacks_and_benefits/biofuels_from_algae_advantages_and_disadvantages.html.
- 6. Monthly_US_Raw_Material_Usage_for_US_Biodiesel_Production_2007_2009.pdf (application/pdfObject)” (PDF). assets.nationalrenderers.org. 2010. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- 7. Odum H.T. 1971. Environment, Power and Society. Wiley-Interscience. p. 331.
- 8. Omidvarborna et al. 2014. Characterization of particulate matter emitted from transit buses fueled with B20 in idle modes. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2(4), 2335-2342. DOI: 10.1016/j.jece.2014.09.020.
- 9. Wageningen University & Research Centre, 2010. Research on Microalgae within Wageningen UR. Wageningen University, Web.
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2018).