Reduction of NOx and CO emissions through the optimization of incineration parameters in a rotary kiln
Treść / Zawartość
Theoretical and experimental results of the investigation illustrate how the rotary kiln operation affects the oxygen demand in the combustion of meat and bone wastes. The main objective of this study was to achieve optimal CO and NOx emissions for the cyclic operation of a rotary kiln, including in stoppage/operation mode. The tests were carried out in a plant in Poland for thermal animal waste management. A rotary kiln with a maximum capacity of 1000 kg/h was used to incinerate bones, carcasses, processed meat and by-products. The results showed that excessive short-term (1 min) CO and NOx emissions could be prevented by using appropriate time settings for the kiln rotation and adjusting the air flow to the afterburner chamber. Despite the strong negative correlation between CO and NOx emissions, we found an operation level that met the strict requirements of the new EU Directive 2010/75/EU of the European Parliament and the November 24, 2010 Council on industrial emissions.
Bibliogr. 16 poz., tab., rys.
-  BUJAK J., Energy savings and heat efficiency in the paper industry. A case study of a corrugated board machine, Energy, 2008, 33, 1597.
-  BUJAK J., Mathematical modelling of a steam boiler room to research thermal efficiency, Energy, 2008, 33, 1779.
-  BUJAK J., Minimizing energy losses in steam systems for potato starch production, J. Clean. Prod., 2009, 17, 1453.
-  BUJAK J., Experimental study of the energy efficiency of an incinerator for medical waste, Appl. Energy, 2009, 86, 2386.
-  DOVÌ V.G., FRIEDLER F., HUISINGH D., KLEMEŠ J.J., Cleaner energy for sustainable future, J. Clean. Prod., 2009, 17, 889.
-  CONSONNI S., GIUGLIANO M., GROSSO M., Alternative strategies for energy recovery from municipal solid waste: Part A: Mass and energy balances, Waste Manage., 2005, 25, 123.
-  KENDALL A., CHANG B., Estimating life cycle greenhouse gas emissions from corn–ethanol: a critical review of current US practices, J. Clean. Prod., 2009, 17, 1175.
-  SARDIANOU E., Barriers to industrial energy efficiency investments in Greece, J. Clean. Prod., 2008, 16, 1416.
-  European Commission, Directive 2000/76/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 4 December 2000 on the incineration of waste. Official Journal of the European Communities, 2000, 91.
-  POGGIO A., Analisi energetica di impianti per la termoutilizzazione di rifiuti urbani, 4 Convegno Nazionale Utilizzazione Termica dei Rifiuti. Associazione Termotecnica Italiana, Milan 2003.
-  EBENER B., CLAYTON M., Operating experience with filter bags in flue gas cleaning on refuse incinerators, Filt. Sep., 1995, 32, 27.
-  SEDMAN C.B., Controlling emissions from fuel and waste combustion, Chem. Eng., 1999, 106, 82.
-  DEAN A., [in:] J.R. McDonald, A.H. Dean (Eds.), Electrostatic recipitator manual, Noyes, Park Ridge 1982, 484.
-  KUO J.T., System simulation and control of batch-fed solid waste incinerators, J. Dyn. Sys. Measure. Con., 1996, 118, 620.
-  GOOD J., NUSSBAUMER T., Efficiency improvement and emission reduction by advanced combustion control technique (ACCT) with CO/lambda control and setpoint optimization, in: Biomass for energy and industry. 10th European Conference and Technology Exhibition, Würzburg 1998, 1362–1365.
-  NOLTE M., EBERHARD M., KOLB T., SEIFERT H., Incineration optimization, Chem. Eng., 2007, 793, 43.