The relationship between changes in joint kinematics parameters and mechanomyographic signals during non-isometric contraction in human skeletal muscle
Treść / Zawartość
The present study determines the effects of summation of contraction on joint kinematics in human ankle and mechanomyography (MMG) signals during non-isometric contraction. The excursion and angular velocity of dorsiflexion and eversion were measured during several summation profiles during non-isometric contractions. The joint kinematics parameters and MMG responses to 1–8 pulses at a constant interval of 10 ms were recorded to investigate the effects of different numbers of stimuli. In an examination of two-pulse trains with different inter-pulse intervals, the joint kinematics parameters and MMG responses to inter-pulse intervals of 10–100 ms were recorded from the tibialis anterior muscle. The main finding was that facilitating effects of subsequent stimulation were limited to angular velocity of eversion during the contribution of a second stimulus, suggesting that facilitating effects of second stimulus reflect angular velocity but not joint angle excursion. A comparison with MMG signals clarified that MMG signals poorly correlate with changes in the joint kinematics parameters (excursion and angular velocity) when the inter-pulse intervals or numbers of stimuli are increased. These findings will provide useful information for assessing the muscle contractile properties with evoked MMG signals during non-isometric contraction.
Bibliogr. 18 poz., wykr.
-  GORDON G., HOLBOURN A.H., The sounds from single motor units in a contracting muscle, J. Physiol., 1948, Vol. 107, 456–464.
-  BARRY D.T., Vibrations and sounds from evoked muscle twitches, Electromyogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1992, Vol. 32, 35–40.
-  BARRY D.T., HILL T., IM D., Muscle fatigue measured with evoked muscle vibrations, Muscle Nerve, 1992, Vol.15, 303–309.
-  SHIMA N., RICE C.L., OTA Y., YABE K., The effect of postactivation potentiation on the mechanomyogram, Eur. J. Appl. Physiol., 2006, Vol. 96, 17–23.
-  PETITJEAN M., MATON B., CNOCKAERT J.C., Evaluation of human dynamic contraction by phonomyography, J. Appl. Physiol., 1992, Vol. 73, 2567–2573.
-  BECK T.W., HOUSH T.J., CRAMER J.T., WEIR J.P., JOHNSON G.O., COBURN J.W., MALEK M.H., MIELKE M., Mechanomyographic amplitude and frequency responses during dynamic muscle actions: a comprehensive review, Biomed. Eng. Online., 2005, Vol. 4, 67.
-  COOPER S., ECCLES J.C., The isometric responses of mammalian muscles, J. Physiol., 1930, Vol. 69, 377–385.
-  STEIN R.B., PARMIGGIANI F., Nonlinear summation of contractions in cat muscles. I. Early depression, J. Gen. Physiol., 1981, Vol. 78, 277–293.
-  OHTA Y., SHIMA N., YABE K., Changes in force and tendinous tissue elongation during the early phase of tetanic summation in in vivo human tibialis anterior muscle, J. Biomech., 2010, Vol. 43, 998–1001.
-  MATSUO T., YAGI N., Structural changes in the muscle thin filament during contractions caused by single and double electrical pulses, J. Mol. Biol., 2008, Vol. 383, 1019–1036.
-  OHTA Y., SHIMA N., YABE K., The effect of summation of contraction on acceleration signals in human skeletal muscle, J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol., 2010, Vol. 20, 1007–1013.
-  LEE S.C., BINDER-MACLEOD S.A., Effects of activation frequency on dynamic performance of human fresh and fatigued muscles, J. Appl. Physiol., 2000, Vol. 88, 2166–2175.
-  KEBAETSE M.B., TURNER A.E., BINDER-MACLEOD S.A., Effects of stimulation frequencies and patterns on performance of repetitive, nonisometric tasks, J. Appl. Physiol., 2002, Vol. 92, 109–116.
-  MALADEN R., PERUMAL R., WEXLER A.S., BINDER-MACLEOD S.A., Relationship between stimulation train characteristics and dynamic human skeletal muscle performance, Acta Physiol. (Oxf.), 2007, Vol. 189, 337–346.
-  OHTA Y., SHIMA N., YABE K., In vivo behaviour of human muscle architecture and mechanomyographic response using the interpolated twitch technique, J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol., 2009, Vol. 19, e154–e161.
-  LESLIE K., IATROU C.C., JONES K., BEEMER G.H., Common peroneal nerve stimulation for neuromuscular monitoring: evaluation in awake volunteers and anesthetized patients, Anesth. Analg., 1999, Vol. 88, 197–203.
-  PARMIGGIANI F., STEIN R.B., Nonlinear summation of contractions in cat muscles. II. Later facilitation and stiffness changes, J. Gen. Physiol., 1981, Vol. 78, 295–311.
-  OHTA Y., Effects of tendinous tissue properties on force output evoked by 2-pulse trains at different inter-pulse intervals in the human tibialis anterior muscle, Acta Bioeng. Biomech., 2012, Vol. 14, No. 4, 45–52.