Predicting buildings construction cost overruns on the basis of cost overruns structure
Treść / Zawartość
In construction practice, contractually agreed costs are often exceeded, which interferes with the sustainable realization of construction projects. The research described in this paper covers 24 new construction, renovation and reconstruction projects in the Republic of Croatia realized in the years 2006 to 2017, in order to analyse the occurrence of cost overruns more precisely with regard to the source of the overruns. It was found that additional work is the main source of cost overruns: firstly, additional work as a result of the client’s change orders and then unforeseen construction work as a result of unforeseen circumstances. As for the additional works, they are carried out at the client’s request and are not necessary for the safety and stability of the building. Using linear regression and “soft computing” methods, the possibility of modelling the relationship between contractually agreed and realized construction costs with satisfactory accuracy was tested. The model with the values of the natural logarithms of the variables, modelled according to the time–cost model of Bromilow, proved to be of the highest accuracy.
Bibliogr. 27 poz., rys., tab.
- University of Rijeka, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Radmile Matejčić, 3, HR51000, Rijeka, Croatia
- University of Rijeka, Faculty of Civil Engineering
- University of Rijeka, Faculty of Civil Engineering
- GT-Trade d.o.o., Split, Croatia
- Alshamrani, O.S. (2017). Construction cost prediction model for conventional and sustainable college buildings in North America. Journal of Taibah University for Science, 11(2), 315-323.
- Al-Zwainy, F.M. & Aidan, I.A.A. (2017). Forecasting the cost of structure of infrastructure projects utilizing artificial neural network model (highway projects as case study). Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 10(20), 1-12.
- Ambrule, V.R. & Bhirud, A.N. (2017). Use of artificial neural network for pre design cost estimation of building projects. Interational Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 5(2), 173-176.
- Attala, M. & Hegazy, T. (2003). Predicting cost deviation in reconstruction projects: artificial neural networks versus regression. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 129(4), 405-411.
- Biolek, V., Hanak, T. & Marović, I. (2017). Data Flow in Relation to Life-Cycle Costing of Construction Projects in the Czech Republic. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 245, 072032. doi 10.1088/1757-899X/245/7/072032
- Bromilow, F.J. (1969). Contract time performance expectations and the reality. Building Forum, 1(3), 70-80.
- Car-Pušić, D. & Mlađen, M. (2020). Early stage construction cost prediction in function of project sustainability. In 15th International Conference on Durability of Building Materials and Components [accepted for publishing].
- Car-Pušić, D. (2004). Metodologija planiranja održivog vremena građenja [Planning methodology for sustainable construction time] (doctoral dissertation). University of Zagreb, Zagreb.
- Chan, A.P. (2001). Time-cost relationship of public sector projects in Malaysia. International Journal of Project Management, 19(4), 223-229.
- Chan, D.W. & Kumaraswamy, M.M. (1999). Forecasting construction durations for public husing projects. Hong Kong Perspective Building and Environment, 34(5), 633-646.
- El-Kholy, A.M. (2015). Predicting cost overrun in construction projects. International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 4(4), 95-105.
- Fong, C.K., Avetisyan, H.G. & Cui, Q. (2014). Understanding the sustainable outcome of project delivery methods in the built environment. Organization, Technology & Management in Construction, 6(3), 1141-1155.
- Hegazy, T. & Ayed, A. (1998). Neural network model for parametric cost estimation of highway projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 124(3), 210-218.
- Hrvatska Gospodarska Komora (2017). Posebne uzance o građenju [Customs business practices on construction – proposal]. Retrevied from: http://web.hgk.hr/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Posebne-uzance-o-gradenjuprijedlog.pdf
- MacDonald, M. (2002). Review of Large Public Procurement in the UK. London: HM Treasury.
- Mlađen, M. (2017). Analiza uzroka i vjerojatnosti troškovnih odstupanja u projektima visokogradnje [Causes and probability analysis of cost differences in building projects] (master’s thesis). University of Rijeka, Rijeka.
- Peško, I., Trivunić, M., Cirović, G. & Mučenski, V. (2013). A preliminary estimate of time and cost in urban road construction using neural networks. Technical Gazette, 20(3), 563-570.
- Petroutsatou, C., Lambropoulos, S. & Pantouvakis, J.P. (2006). Road tunnel early cost estimates using multiple regression analysis. Operational Research, 6(3), 311-322.
- Petrusheva, S., Car-Pušić, D. & Zileska-Pancovska, V. (2016). Model for predicting construction time by using general regression neural network. International Scientific Conference People, Buildings and Environment, 29, 33-46.
- Petrusheva, S., Car-Pušić, D. & Zileska-Pancovska, V. (2019). Support Vector Machine Based Hybrid Model for Prediction of Road Structures Construction Costs. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 222, 012010. doi 10.1088/1755-1315/222/1/012010
- Petrusheva, S., Zileska-Pancovska, V., Žujo, V. & Brkan-Vejzović, A. (2017). Construction costs forecasting: comparison of the accuracy of linear regression and support vector machine models. Technical Gazette, 24(5), 1431-1438.
- Plebankiewicz, E. (2018). Model of Predicting Cost Overrun in Construction Projects. Sustainability, 10(2), 4387. doi 10.3390/su10124387
- Sherrod, P.H. (2014). DTREG Predictive modeling software. Users manual. Retrieved from: https://www.dtreg.com/uploaded/downloadfile/DownloadFile_5.pdf
- Tijanić, K. & Car-Pušić, D. (2019). Procjena operativnih troškova škola primjenom umjetnih neuronskih mreža [The assessment of school operational costs by using artificial neural networks]. In A. Bogdanić et al. (eds.), Zajednički temelji 2019 – Sedmi skup mladih istraživača iz područja građevinarstva i srodnih tehničkih znanosti (pp. 126-131). Rijeka: University of Rijeka.
- Tijanić, K., Car-Pušić, D. & Šperac, M. (2019). Cost estimation in road construction using artificial neural network. Neural Computing and Applications, 2, 9343-9355.
- Vezilić Strmo, N., Senjak, I. & Štulhofer, A. (2014). Sustainability of the existing housing stock and evaluation possibilities. Prostor, 22(1), 122-134.
- Žujo, V., Car-Pušić, D. & Brkan-Vejzović, A. (2010). Contracted price overrun as contracted construction time overrun function. Technical Gazette, 17(1), 23-29.